Subject: Re: X-11 Setup
To: Mike Sienicki <mike@cpdist.com>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/05/1999 13:57:01
> What have I failed to install from the X Windows distribution?  When I run
> ldconfig, it says that the /usr/pkg directory does not exist.  Am I correct
> to assume that /usr/pkg is not needed anyway for X to work and that
> /usr/pkg get created when packages are installed?

The /usr/pkg heirarchy is where the package system installs by default.  You
don't need it if you don't have any packages by default.  `ldconfig` gives
you this messages because it uses the file '/etc/ld.so.conf' to determine
which directories to search for libraries.  To keep it quiet, you can create
the '/usr/pkg/lib' directory or edit the config file and remove that line.

PS.  The packges system is a nice easy way to install ready-ported programs.
Just grab a pkgsrc tarball, cd into the directory and type `make install`.
You need a bit of free disk space though - pkgsrc is 25M, plus space for
compiling.

--
          NetBSD - the most widely ported operating system available