Subject: Re: se0/DDB/ser0
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 08/02/1998 21:25:22
On Sun 02 Aug 1998, Julian Coleman wrote:
> Hmm, trying to get se0 (Cabletron EA412 SCSI <-> ethernet adapter) to work.
> I can ifconfig it OK and even ping it from another machine.  However, if I
> try and use it, the machine locks up (typed characters appear on the screen
> but that's it).  Is there any way to drop into DDB when it does this?  Some
> ports have a key sequence to do this.  I can't see one for the Atari port
> though :(

The sequence is: ALT + LSHIFT + F9. The drawback is that this will not work
when something is looping at high priority. Given the fact that there still
appear echo's on the screen this shouldn't be a problem. [ when it does
_not_ work, drop me a mail, there are work-arounds ;-) ]

> Also, when I boot with no floppy in the drive, I see that the floppy light
> comes on and stays on about the time the SCSI bus is probed.  Now, ser0 is
> probed just before this.  Could it be that the calls to ym2149_rts() and/or
> ym2149_dtr() are inadvertantly setting floppy0 select [*]?

I forgot the exact problem, but it boiled down to the fact that it is
impossible (AFAIK) to turn off the damned floppy when there is no floppy in
the drive :-( Note that the drive is turned off approx. 30 seconds after a
floppy is inserted.

> PS.  I tried running a 1.3 kernel to see if the mouse behave oddly under X
> there too.  However, it failed to boot when fsck run - 'bad system call'.

So much for that test :-(

> [*] Ack!  I can't remember if floppy1 select also switches the internel
> floppy light on.

I did not think so...

Leo.