Subject: Atari tty-ports - again
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 04/20/1998 16:54:06
Somewhere around the 2nd of April I wrote:
>   - I was thinking to make the following relations:
>       tty00 -> 8530 Channel A (formerly ser02)
>       tty01 -> 8530 Channel B (formerly mdm02)
>       tty02 -> UART on first 68901 (formerly mdm01)
>       tty03 -> UART on second 68901 (formerly ser01)
>
>       The rationale behind this being:
>         - sort per chip-type
>         - 8530 first -> it has backside connectors on all models
>         - use chip (channel) order

I also committed these changes. However, Chris Demetriou pointed out that
this sceme looses when the atari port ever steps over to the MI-8530 driver.
 [ Think about what the name of an additional 8530 on an pci or isa card
   should have ]
Since the atari-port should (eventually) step over to the MI driver, I would
like to change the tty naming sceme again soon. The idea was to use
tty-classes - like on the alpha. Each driver gets his own tty-class(es). For
the atari this looks like:
        ttyA0 -> 8530 Channel A (formerly ser02)
        ttyA1 -> 8530 Channel B (formerly mdm02)
        ttyB0 -> UART on first 68901 (formerly mdm01)

I really hope this sceme will last longer. I don't want to start a 'tty mapping
of the week' thread ;-)

Leo.