Subject: Re: Main console task switching
To: Mike Sienicki <video_mike@hotmail.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 04/10/1998 08:48:18
On Wed 08 Apr 1998, Mike Sienicki wrote:
> Dear port-atari,
>
> I'm running bootx V1.3 kernel on my TT and it is configured for 4 views,
> however, I can see text on Alt-F1/F2, but not on F3/F4.  I can actually
> log in using the Alt-F3/F4 windows, but, just can't see anything.  I
> think that these two are graphics windows and that I am missing
> something to configure them.  Any ideas are appreciated.

I don't get the part about 'I can actually log in'. What I think the
problem is, is the '/etc/ttys' file. Just make sure it contains entries
like:
   ttye2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure       # ite2
   ttye3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure       # ite3

These entries are there by default for the ttye[01] ttys. Anyway, the addition
of the above lines make sure that there will be getty's on these ports.

> Second, is "fdformat" supported in V1.3 Atari at this time?

There is currently ony support for fdformat in the Hades floppy-driver.

> Third, Is it to late to set up my TT030 as a server running TCP/IP
> protocol via a serial port after I told the V1.3 installation program
> not to configure a network?  Is Xaniver required for this?

No, it's definitely not too late. The BOOTX kernel that you seem to been
using has basic networking support. It also has the slip and ppp modules
enabled. Xdaniver has nothing to do with it, it is an Xserver.

> Fourth, I appreciate all of the work that you all have done on this
> project.  I have an appreciation for the amount of time that goes into
> writing code.  I would be happy to help in this effort, but, my main
> experience has been writing assembler on the Motorola 6809 and 68000
> CPU's.  I am somewhat comfortable with C, however, I lack the
> documentation and schematics for developing code on the TT030.

Oh, not all work to be done includes programming ;-) There are enough
missing bits of documentation that are waiting to be written. I am also
looking for someone who is willing to build (sub)releases and snapshots
on a somewhat regular basis.

Leo.