Subject: Re: ET4000 questions
From: Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 03/14/1998 01:05:54
On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 01:09:48PM +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:
> In the Xserver, inw and outw are defined as two byte read/writes.  Will this
> always work on the TT?  Would it not be better to use the single word (16bit)
> read/write (that is #ifdef 0)?  Or will that not work on the Hades?

I don't know why 16 bit access to the I/O area don't work at the Hades. I
tried swapping and not swapping the bytes, but in either case I don't get
a working screen. Therefore I deceided to use single byte access, because
this works and this code is only used for initializising the card. I don't
think this will slow down the server in a notable way. At the
W32 server (OK, this is not of interest for you) the access to the
accelerater is done by 16- and 32bit access. But the accelerater registers
are not in the I/O area, their are part of the frame buffer.

Thomas