Subject: Re: Panic: MMU fault :(
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/03/1998 21:03:29
On Wed 31 Dec 1997, Julian Coleman wrote:
> Hmm, trying to compile my own kernel and I keep getting 'Panic: MMU fault'.
> Traceback is :
>
> _Debugger(8,255bd59,87eea,87d5b,,5eea000) + 6
> _panic(87d5b,5eea000,8,19aee,5cb800) + 40
> _panictrap(8,401f64d,5eeb400,255bdb1) + aa
> _trap(8,401f64d,5eeb400) + 422
> faultstkadj() + 0
>
> Is this a memory problem?  If so, is there anything I can use to test the
> memory?  (I've got 2M ST-RAM and 20M TT-RAM on a System Solutions TT/32
> board with 4 x 4M * 9 80ns and 4 x 1M * 8 burst mode 70ns SIMM's.)
>
> I tried loading the kernel into ST-RAM, but then it just locks up when I
> try and fsck the disks.

It looks like the same problem Benny had a while back. Making sure the
kernel runs in ST-ram fixed the problem. The 1.3 kernels will no longer
relocate by default, meaning that you have to force them out of ST-ram
instead of TT-ram. I don't remember if this was already the case in the
1.3 alpha kernels. If you try to let the kernel _only_ use ST ram, it
probably will lockup because it has not enough memory to do the fsck's.
Maybe you should configure swap earlier?

PS: I expect the atari 1.3 release to be in place early next week. This
for those of you wondering...

Leo.