Subject: bootx kernel panic
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/28/1997 03:06:51
Hi,

Several weeks ago I asked here for help with the terminating resistors
in my TT so that I could get started on installing NetBSD to this
machine.  The info I was given was very helpful (thanks again Leo!).
I've just finished juggling disks and partitions on the machine, and
I'm finally ready to begin with the installation.

So, I grabbed the most recent files from the 1.3_ALPHA set at
ftp.netbsd.org, and I dropped loadbsd.ttp and the netbsd.BOOTX kernel
onto a high-density floppy.  I booted the TT030 (TOS 3.06, 10240K ST
RAM, 16384K TT RAM) and inhibited HDX to be sure that auto's and acc's
wouldn't interfere (also tried booting from hard disk).  I switched to
ST-Medium resolution (also tried ST-Low, ST-High, and TT-Medium),
started loadbsd.ttp, and passed the parameters "-b a:/netbsd".  The
kernel starts to load and then almost immediately panics.  I can't see
everything that is printed (much of it scrolls off the screen too
quickly).  When it stops, the first things I can see are a register
dump and stack dump, which I won't reproduce here because I don't
think I could copy it all down accurately.  If it's really valuable
let me know and I'll try.

Here's a traceback of the crash from the BOOTX kernel (typed in
manually, please pardon any typos):

panic: Bus error
Stopped at	_Debugger+0x6: unlk	a6
db> trace
_Debugger(0,dbdec,87eea,87dd4,0) + 6
_panic(87dd4,0,0,dbf68,abd80) + 40
_panictrap(0,74d,300022c,dbe44) + aa
_trap(0,74d,300022c) + 1e2
faultstkadj(a34d4,116000,dc000,3,0) + 0
_pmap_steal_memory(8000,0,dfffffc,abd80,dbf6c) + a0
_vm_page_bootstrap(dbf68,dbf64,19b22,0,dbfa8) + 54
_vm_mem_init(99eac,0,3,fffffffc,1000000) + 12
_main(dbfb4) + 2c

I tried a BOOT kernel as well.  It panics too, the trace looks much
the same, though a few of the parameters in the call list are
different.  I can copy it down and post that as well, if needed.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Obviously I'm not in a
position to compile my own kernel, but I'm willing and able to try any
test kernels provided to me.

Thanks,
entropy