Subject: Re: Serial ports again
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan Hastings <dan_hastings@uk.ibm.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/18/1997 05:43:37
>      text     devicename    driver   chip       supported  see note#
>      ===============================================================
>      serial1  /dev/ser01             68901       No
>      serial2  /dev/ser02     zs0     ZS8530      Yes        1
>      modem1   /dev/mdm01     ser0    68901       Yes        2/3
>      modem2   /dev/mdm02     zs0     ZS8530      Yes
>
>Note 1:
>      On the Hades (and the Falcon???), there is only a 'lan' connector
>      available for this port.

True for the Falcon yup. The "LAN" port is the Apple Mac "localtalk" type
serial port. Under TOS you can use it as a normal serial port by simply
purchasing a Mac localtalk -> RS232 serial cable, but I never managed to
get it to work under NetBSD. I think the frequency settings for that port
must be different for the Falcon but I gave up trying to work them out
due to the huge compile times on a 4Mb 16Mhz Falcon...

>Note 2:
>      I think Markus told me that there is no connector for this port on
>      the Falcon.

Right again - Falcon has only modem2 and serial2 explicitly - I think the
BIOS maps modem1 to modem2 though I doubt that affects NetBSD. ;)

I guess I should unsubscribe this list soon... Just acquired a PC
(Cyrix 686 running FreeBSD - no Wintel here) and the Falcon is gathering
dust.

Dan Hastings, 01705 564525 (external) 254525 (internal)
Technical Product Assurance,   IBM Global Services,  UK
NOSS: NHBVM1(hastind) Internet: dan_hastings@uk.ibm.com