Subject: Re: Atari TT, disk termination, and NetBSD
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/11/1997 09:46:36
On Thu 11 Sep 1997, maximum entropy wrote:

> So the questions are...am I correct that I need to disable termination
> on the SCSI controller before proceeding with this type of
> configuration?  Or does the controller automagically
> terminate/unterminate itself properly?  The TT documentation makes no
> mention of this issue at all.  If it is necessary to remove the
> internal termination, where are the resistor packs I need to pull?

Yes, you should make sure that the resistor packs near the controller are
removed. On most TT's they were never inserted in the first place (according
to Atari ;-) As to the location:

     +---------------+
     |           |   | (The ' gives the location of the 3 packs - note
     |===============|  that this was supposed to be a top view...)

Removing the packs involves removing the whole bloody shielding :-(

> When using TOS I used to avoid this issue entirely by simply
> connecting external devices on the ACSI bus using an ICD Link.  But I
> understand that NetBSD doesn't support ACSI so this doesn't seem to be
> an option for my planned configuration.

Exactly - unless you write the ACSI driver first ;-)

Leo.