Subject: Printer setup problems
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Brandt <mike@wowbagger.pc-labor.uni-bremen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/15/1997 18:17:21
Hello everybody,

I'm desperately trying to set up the line printer spooling system to
work with my HP Laserjet IIP printer --- but it simply doesn't work.

As a first step I tried to print an ASCII file by copying it directly
to the parallel printer device /dev/lpt0. It worked fine.
So I added an entry to the /etc/printcap which looked like this:

lp:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:

As far as I could determine from the lpr(1), lpd(8) and printcap(5)
manual pages this should lead to a simple copy of the ASCII file to
that device with no further processing involved.
Unfortunately when I try to print an ASCII file with `lpr <filename>'
I just get either empty pages or pages containing a couple of garbled
lines.

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong here? Or is there some
problem with the parallel printer device?

Thanks in advance

Mike