Subject: Re: Falcon serial ports
To: Kyle Farrell <orb@ee.washington.edu>
From: chris_gray <ep71@bcs.org.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 04/15/1997 22:02:13
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Kyle Farrell wrote:

> Hi Chris-
>
> wouldn't 'stty -a -f /dev/ser02' figure out the baud rate?

Yes. :) Or rather /dev/mdm02: /dev/ser02 reports 9562 baud (sic).

kiffer# stty -a -f /dev/mdm02
ppp disc; speed 57600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
        -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
        -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb crtscts -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

> and what exactly is the "options" file?  what other info goes in there?
>
> -kyle

kiffer# cat /etc/ppp/options
57600
crtscts
defaultroute

I copied it from my MiNTnet configuration.  According to `man options`
it can contain anything which could be specified on the command line.

I still have a bit of a way to go on the networking front:
  1) during system startup the machine hangs for ages on 'starting
     network'.  If I don't just ^C out I eventually get a message
     along the lines of 'kiffer.eunet,be: invalid value'.
  2) Until I start ppp, I don't exist. :) Meaning: if I start apache,
     it exits because it can't resolve its own hostname, and if I
     run 'lynx http://localhost/' it hangs looking up localhost.
     This is something I have to fix in /etc/something; I read about
     that somewhere once ...

It's all a learning experience. :)

BTW I've had a look at the CISCO TA/router, and it turns out it only has
ethernet connections on the computer side.  Time to look into Zyxel ...

Chris