Subject: Re: boot/display/compiling problems
To: Matti Koskimies <msk@bizar.dystopia.fi>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 02/21/1997 08:21:55
Matti Koskimies wrote:

> OK, thanks for this info, guess I just misunderstood something from the
> man page. I'll try to install the bootstrap, then...
>
> However, I've ran into quite a lot of compiling problems. I realise now
> that the proper way of installing pine is through sh build neb, but the
> script still seems to freeze at some point. And when I tried to run a
> make on ircII-EPIC3.003 (after sh configure), I got this:
> Kernel stack (00C29AB6):
> C29AB6:
> panic: Illegal instruction
> Stopped at     -Debugger +0x6:  nnlk  a6
>
> could this be because of the FPU emulation not being stable?

It can, to be sure however, I need more info. If you type 't' at the debugger
prompt, you'll get a stack trace. If you can provide me with the function
names (numbers not necessary ;-) ), I might get a better grip on it.

In the NetBSD/Mac68k faq (on: http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd), I found the
following:

The latest from Ken Nakata (ken@net5.co.jp):

      Any recent kernel has FPE (floating point emulation) built in it,
      albeit incomplete. So, if you want an FPE kernel, get a current kernel
      such as GENERIC#7 found on ftp.macbsd.com.

      Anyone running NetBSD/mac68k without a hardware FPU, please obtain and
      install this math library files for FPU-less environment:

      ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/kenn/libm-nomc68881.tar.gz

      This gzipped tar file contains libm (math library) which avoids use
      of some of mc68881 instructions, thus you hopefully won't get
      "unimplemented instruction" error with the current, incomplete FPE
      implementation (what I'm trying to do here is very similar to what
      i386 people have been doing for years).

I *think* this applies to NetBSD/Atari too. I'm not sure because I don't
have an FPU-less machine and pulling FPU's is not my favorite job ;-) Could
you try this and publish the results?

Leo.