Subject: Re: Installboot: OS revision not supported
To: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/16/1996 22:32:04
Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> last night I tried to install NetBSD-1.2 on my Atari TT. I didn't
> expect trouble because I had already intalled several varieties
> of unix on different machines. The installation is almost complete
> except for one annoying detail:
>
> installboot refuses to do anything, it just displays this message:
> installboot: NetBSD 1.2 199306: OS revision not supported
I have to check this out.

> I tried to use both the kernel on the boot floppy and the BOOT kernel
> but installboot still refuses to work. Where's the problem?
I might have missed a change in param.h...

> I've also discovered some minor traps in the installation documentation:
>
> a) You should mention somewhere that the only possible way to mount a
> GEMDOS partition is mount -o -G -t msdos <device> <mountpoint>.
I think you are right. It is a bit more complicated even because Michiel
found out that dos partitions formatted with ICD should *not* be mounted
with the '-G' flag. This should go to both the FAQ and the install document.

> b) The documentation mentions that "Pre-formatting can be best done
> using the desktop format command. Some other utilities seem to be giving
> problems."
> You can add "Discs formatted with Kobold will not work". No, I did
> RTFM before I tried to install NetBSD/Atari. It's just another entry
> for the famous last words lists: "I'm sure those disks have been
> formatted with the desktop". Yeah, right ;-)
>
> c) I was unable to intall a kernel from the installer. To be precise,
> it is not possible to mount a 720 KByte floppy. HDs work without
> any problems if I use mount -t msdos /dev/fd0c /mnt. If I try that
> with a DD, I get the message "recalibrate error". fd0a and fd0b
> don't work, either: "Operation not permitted". Huh?
The format is encoded in the device-name like:
    360Kb -> fd0a
    720Kb -> fd0b
   1440Kb -> fd0c

Leo.