Subject: Installboot: OS revision not supported
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/16/1996 07:29:35
Hi,
last night I tried to install NetBSD-1.2 on my Atari TT. I didn't
expect trouble because I had already intalled several varieties
of unix on different machines. The installation is almost complete
except for one annoying detail:

installboot refuses to do anything, it just displays this message:
installboot: NetBSD 1.2 199306: OS revision not supported

I tried to use both the kernel on the boot floppy and the BOOT kernel
but installboot still refuses to work. Where's the problem?

I've also discovered some minor traps in the installation documentation:

a) You should mention somewhere that the only possible way to mount a
GEMDOS partition is mount -o -G -t msdos <device> <mountpoint>.

b) The documentation mentions that "Pre-formatting can be best done
using the desktop format command. Some other utilities seem to be giving
problems."
You can add "Discs formatted with Kobold will not work". No, I did
RTFM before I tried to install NetBSD/Atari. It's just another entry
for the famous last words lists: "I'm sure those disks have been
formatted with the desktop". Yeah, right ;-)

c) I was unable to intall a kernel from the installer. To be precise,
it is not possible to mount a 720 KByte floppy. HDs work without
any problems if I use mount -t msdos /dev/fd0c /mnt. If I try that
with a DD, I get the message "recalibrate error". fd0a and fd0b
don't work, either: "Operation not permitted". Huh?

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de