Subject: Re: DSP device?
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/29/1996 12:53:09
> > >There is currently a small number of people doing a *lot* of work. It
> > >would be nice to extend that group a bit. So if you like to see something
> > >done and you *think* you can do it, please do! I will try to help you
> > >out if there are questions.
> >
> > I am developing a driver for Linux/m68k 1.3.96, and I thought maybe it
> > could be put in NetBSD too. Are there any GLP/BSD copyright conflicts?
> Yes... As far as I know, things developed under the BSD copyright can be
> used in Linux (which has the GPL). Not vice versa. I am definitely no expert
> in this. Therefore I added a cc: to Chris Demetriou. I think he can be
> more clear about this.

I'm not really the right person to ask; 'core' is.  I've cc'd them in.

Historically, the policy has been:
	(1) NO GPL'd kernel code allowed
	(2) NO GPL'd libc code allowed
	(3) GPL'd code elsewhere only as _necessary_, and then well
	    seperated (i.e. in /usr/src/gnu, and in no other parts of
	    /usr/src, nor included by programs in other parts of
	    /usr/src).

I don't know what the current policy is, but i've not heard that it's
changed.

As for what copyright goes on code you write: that's up to you.  If
you wrote it (from scratch), and include it in a Linux kernel, you can
still release that code under a BSD-style copyright.

chris