Subject: Current kernel binaries - where?
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <D.L.Hastings@exeter.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/07/1996 11:04:11
>> every single netbsd mirror site in existance and can find neither the
>> kernel binaries, nor the source for the current kernel! I have never yet

> I haven't uploaded a new kernel binary since 1.1, so that you were not
> able to find it doesn't surprise me. The latest kernel source can be gotten
> at: ftp.netbsd.org://pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz

Ah, well that explains it. :) I didn't recognise the kernel code as being
the sys directory - I was looking for a kernels directory. :)

> An how-to to build the kernel is in the FAQ (again at ftp.netbsd.org:
> //ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/atari/FAQ).

I downloaded the current source (7.5Mb - eek!) but don't have enough room on
my /usr partition to even gunzip it! :(

> If you are not in a hurry, you might want to wait a week or 2. I'm planning
> to generate a new set of kernels & binaries.

That sounds like my best choice at the moment. :) I'm planning to eventually
repartition my HD to give NetBSD more space, at the moment I have 20Mb root,
80Mb /usr and 10Mb swap! Not ideal sizes I'm sure.

> There is also a gotcha when moving to a newer kernel: Some of the binaries
> in /sbin should be updated too. I think most (if not all) of these updates
> are covered by the update.tar.gz (usual place ...arch/atari look around a

I'll pick that up once I have the new kernels. :)
Thanks for the help!

*  {{{ Dan }}}  *  Atari Falcon030 4Mb RAM 65Mb IDE 340Mb SCSI   *
*    NetBSD-1.1-Atari installed - a _real_ unix environment!     *
*    Looking for a Falcon sample editor? Get SuperSam v1.08!     *