Subject: Re: PPP and virtual screens
To: Andreas Kohout <shanee@rabbit.augusta.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 02/05/1996 22:09:26

> Hello,
>
> first my config: TT with TT-high and 2/8 MByte RAM - NetBSD 1.1R
Hi Andy,

> two small questions:
>
> I enjoy more than one virtual console. So I binpatch the kernel (I tried =
> boot =
>
> and GENERIC) so that getty my run on ttye0 and ttye1.
>
> But how may I switch between the screens? ALT-Fn wont work ...
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to binpatch to get more virtual
consoles. The BOOT kernel has 2 virtual consoles built-in. If you want more
you should reconfigure/rebuild the kernel. To get a complete description
of how to do this, look in the FAQ. You can find the FAQ at:
   ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/atari/FAQ

> I try to setup ppp, and it wont work ... so I try first the serial-connec=
> tion. =
>
> On the other side there is a FreeBSD-box. I connect Serial2 (ser02) to cu=
> aa0 =
>
> from my PC. First I start an getty on cuaa0 with 115200 an use TOS/Connec=
> t =
>
> (SERIAL2), it works fine.
>
> Than I try to connect with NetBSD (cu -l ser02 -s 115200) but cu terminat=
> ed =
>
> with cant send character (or so).
My quess is that you didn't setup the /etc/uucp configuration files. I think
that without those, cu won't set the line to '-clocal' when connecting to
the port. This could probably also be achieved by adding a line:
    ser02  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" dailup off clocal
to /etc/ttys.
As an aside, did you also try this on the mdm02 port? There were some problems
with using both ser02 and mdm02 in 1.1. I hoped to fix them a week or 2 ago.
There was also a report of ser02 not working at all. Unfortunately, I have
not been able to reproduce this.
I plan to do some tests next weekend. I have the cables ready to connect
ser02 <-> mdm02 . So I can test the above situation.

Leo.