Subject: Re: uucp-throughput
To: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/02/1995 23:39:23
Hi Waldi!

Waldi Ravens wrote:

> > This matches my experience: When connected to my modem at 38400 bps,
> > only half of my modem's long configuration listing (when generated
> > with "AT\S"; one screenful of data) gets thru (RTS/CTS flow control
> > enabled, XON/XOFF disabled).
>
> That sounds awfull. If half of the data is lost while *sending*,
> then receiving will hardly be possible (I know from experience,
> that 76800 bps won't get you anywhere).

What do you mean by sending?  The data ist lost while transferring
from the modem to the computer.

> > BTW, why does `cu' reset my modem device to "-crtscts" even if I
> > specify "hardflow yes" in /etc/uucp/sys?
>
> IIRC `hardflow' can only be specified in the devices file, unlike
> the `speed' command which may appear in either file.

The Taylor UUCP docs say "hardflow" can only appear in "port".  Also
there is no "devices" file when using Taylor-style config files.

The docs also say "hardflow yes" is the default.

Has NetBSD's Taylor UUCP been modified in any way?  Perhaps I should
just go and compile a stock Taylor UUCP...

BTW, why aren't GNU `info' and all the docs in texinfo format part of
NetBSD?  (I've checked NetBSD-1.1-RELEASE/sun3 and atari.)

Michael
--
Email: hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de
WWW:   http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~mh1/