Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.1/atari expieriences
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/27/1995 03:39:32
Hi Helmar,

> What I miss is a overall description of the contents of several
> system directories. Although I am sysadmin of several SUNs and HPs
> I recognize many different directories on NetBSD, which I don't
> know:
> /	altroot  sbin     stand 	(why /bin not -> /usr/bin ?)
> /usr/	libdata	 libexec  obj    sbin

Have a look at the System Manager Manual in /usr/share/doc/smm/*.

Binaries in /bin and /sbin are statically linked, as the shared
libs are not available until /usr is mounted.

> At the moment I build my first own kernel according to Leo's
> description in his mail 'FAQ 2'	- since 5 o'clock !!
> Alone the 'make depend' longs 45 minutes. Since that 'make' runs
> about THREE hours. As it compiles 'netinet/tcp_input.c' at the moment,
> I suppose it will run another 5 hours ! Is that normal ?

I suppose it lasts approx. twice as long as on the TT. You may
gain a couple of minutes by mounting /tmp on an mfs, if you've
got some swap space left.

Waldi