Subject: Re: ?: sd1(...): dma-ready: code = 2
To: Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/06/1995 22:32:28
Hallo Michael,

> > >     sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0): dma-ready: code = 2
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what that means and how I can get rid of it?
>
> > It probably means that I have put the kernel I use myself on the bootflop
> > and not the 'plain' kernel.
>
> The kernel distributed along the Nov 1 release has been built from a
> config file named "BOOT".
Yes, that's right ;-) What I ment is that I have put that kernel onto
the bootflop after binpatching the parity checking for my own system.
Otherwise it is a plain 'BOOT' kernel. The kernel configuration BOOT
is made up to be a relatively small kernel that has the things configured
that most people need while still being small enough to boot in 4Mb of
ram.

> > I have parity checking disabled on target 0 & 4 only. the plain
> > kernel disables parity checking on all devices. There seems to be a
> > hardware problem on the TT that makes that parity doesn't work as it
> > should. You can probably solve it by 'binpatching' the kernel to
> > turn off parity checking.
>
> Your posting reminded me that the drive has always had parity disabled
> for it had in an earlier life been connected to an ACSI-SCSI-adapter
> not supporting parity.  :-)
>
> Do you mean that all TTs have the parity checking problem, or did you
> suspect that just mine has it?  Would enabling parity in the drive
> make any sense?
Normally _all_ SCSI devices supply parity on output. The jumper is only
ment to tell the drive the check parity on input. You should probably
enable that. There seems to be something strange with parity on the TT.
According to the scematics, parity should work fine. In practice some
devices are giving trouble. Two of my three disks are running fine
with parity enabled on the host-adapter. Only 1 disk and my tape unit
are giving troubles. I once heard a rumour that the problem was with
the TT, I have never seen any technical evidence however.

> Have you checked with any of the TOS SCSI driver vendors (Uwe Seimet
> <seimet@rhrk.uni-kl.de>, Julian Reschke <reschke@ESCHER.UNI-MUENSTER.DE>)?
> I seem to recall that one of them once said that parity checking would
> normally work on the TT SCSI interface.
No I haven't. Maybe I should if there is no one currently on the list
that can clean up this mistery.

Leo.