Subject: Re: NetBSD is running now -- questions...
To: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 10/21/1995 11:33:25

> > Do you mean that you never partitioned your harddisk with TOS tools
> > but that NetBSD itself did the job?
>
> The NetBSD disklabel contains its own partition table, so
> an AHDI partition table is not required. The total number
> of partitions is currently limited to 16 per medium.
> Obviously, a harddisk without AHDI partition table cannot
> be used by TOS/MagiC or Linux (the latter has access to
> the whole disk as a raw device).
>
> > Then you have reached a goal linux hackers didn't yet!! ;)
>
> Not yet. At least one harddisk must have an AHDI partition
> table, because NetBSD can only be booted under TOS/MagiC.
> A bootloader is necessary to boot NetBSD without TOS.
It seems that partitions labeled 'UNX' can be auto booted from
TOS, Volker raised that possibility. What we need is a bootsector
loader. I saw that the hp or sun ports had ufsboot code that might
be interesting. The loader should also checkout the hardware
config.

> It's just a first attempt to get on our feet. We're by no
> means walking yet. :-)
No, the loader code won't be trivial I'm afraid.

Leo.