Subject: Re: Device Drivers
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/13/1995 22:16:03
Hi,

> I got a hold of a book: "Writing UNIX Device Drivers" by George Pajari
> pub.  Addison-Wesley Publishing.  ISBN 0-201-52374-4
>
> The book discusses writing device drivers for the UNIX SVR3 and R4.  He
> starts out by writing a p-driver and from what I've gathered so far, it
> is not so daunting to write the audio driver!
You just have to start, everything has it's own charms.

> Of course, I may be wrong.. for all I know, this guy is not giving me the
> entire information.
Don't forget: every hardware has it's own pitfalls :-)

> I also managed to look at the Linux 0.9.5 source code (could not find
> /drivers/audio) and could not correlate what this book was describing to
> what I saw.. I guess I need to search some more on text for writing BSD
> drivers.
You could take a look in the sys/arch/atari/dev directory in the sys.tar.gz
source archive. Also present in sys/dev is a generic audio-driver that might
be usefull for a top-level. I didn't look at it myself but maybe it
can help you...

Leo.