Subject: Re: General info
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/29/1995 06:44:30
Hallo Leo,

> > It would be easier though if there were a reload device.
> > Anyone come up with a good idea?
>
> [...]  You can, of course, overlay the video buffers.
> It won't be a pretty sight but saves some (lots of) memory.

Who cares about the pretty sight. This looks like an excellent
idea to me.

> What I use currently is an MSDOS fs mounted as '/stand'. When I make
> a new kernel, I copy it to /stand and just reboot. /netbsd is a symlink
> to /stand/netbsd (or whatever kernel I just booted). As soon as the
> MSDOS-fs problems are solved, this can be a reasonable workaround for
> most people I guess.

It's still necessary to halt the operating system, boot MagiC or TOS,
and then boot the operating system. You also need a gemdos fs. A lot
of overhead that one would like to avoid. :-)

> > IMO it's not so bad that fd0c is not supported. It is however a disaster
> > that the floppy driver can crash the system completely (while using fd0b).
> Is this something new?? I wasn't aware if this one. Please elaborate :-)

When running two processes, which try to access the floppy disk
simultaneously, both processes will hang after a while. After a
short period of time (5-15 min) the whole system will hang.

Regards,
Waldi