Subject: Re: General info
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/28/1995 13:41:28

> Leo Weppelman wrote:
>
> > Many people have troubles mounting the msdosfs filesytems on their harddisks.
> > These problems have not yet been solved. It seems that the Atari/GEM
> > filesystems are more different to 'standard' MSDOS filesystems than expected.
> > The problems are not solved yet, Waldi is looking into it as far as I know.
>
> As far as you know now, ;-) the additions to the Z5380 driver are ready.
Yep, I am currently using them. Today I will take a look at the MSDOS-fs
patches.
> Assuming you'll take care of the disklabel stuff, I'll continue with the
> messdos driver. It would be easier though if there were a reload device.
> Anyone come up with a good idea?
As I pointed out earlier, this will be a nasty problem. The major problem
is getting an image loaded that is physically contiquous. One way to
do this is make sure the amount of reserved ST-ram is enough to hold
the new kernel. But this will not do for most people because it means
reserving at least 1Mb. You can, of course, overlay the video buffers.
It won't be a pretty sight but saves some (lots of) memory. The
other option will be reassembling the scattered pieces after the
MMU has been turned of. This won't be trivial.
What I use currently is an MSDOS fs mounted as '/stand'. When I make
a new kernel, I copy it to /stand and just reboot. /netbsd is a symlink
to /stand/netbsd (or whatever kernel I just booted). As soon as the
MSDOS-fs problems are solved, this can be a reasonable workaround for
most people I guess.

> > fd0c (although the driver isn't supporting is correctly right now)
>
> IMO it's not so bad that fd0c is not supported. It is however a disaster
> that the floppy driver can crash the system completely (while using fd0b).
Is this something new?? I wasn't aware if this one. Please elaborate :-)

Leo.