Subject: Re: netbsd.h9 arrived (moving to .h10)
To: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/15/1995 22:37:23
Hello Helmar,

> No too late  :-)
> Yesterday I complete my Installation from tape
> (oh boy , what a boring mess of time -- it spent about 20 (!) hours to load
> all binary sets )
> it seems to work , but is _horrible_ not-to-use SLOW , like you announced it.
Boy...., I knew is was slow but _that_ slow...

> Some small bugs in installation-procedure I have seen, which depend on the
> differece between the -current and -1.0 distribution.
> I'll short report that I know yet:
>
> 1)  function     Extract()	in  /.instutils from floppy-fs
> 	cat $1.??? | gunzip | (cd /; tar -xvf -)   must be
> 	cat $1.??? | gunzip | (cd /mnt; tar -xvf -)
Probably: cat "$1".tar.gz | gunzip | (cd /mnt; tar -xvf -)
I Think I have to ask in Extract if a '-current' or major distribution
must be installed.
>                                   ^^^^
> because the files in the sets from the current distribution are all
> relative to '/', and '/' is in the install-script mounted on '/mnt' before.
Completely true...

> 2) in function Configure() the (wrong) error message was displayed, that
> no sendmail.cf was found, with the nice explanation:
> "Do you have forgotten to install the etc-set ?" which I don't have ;-).
> I think that the mistake is again, that Configure searches for
> '/etc/sendmail' not for '/mnt/etc/sendmail'
Waldi also reported this one, it's a typo it should read ${ETC}/sendmail.

> 3) sometimes TWO <RETURN>s are got (and displayed) when I typed only one.
Don;t know about this one but maybe it's connected to the next problem?

> 4) vi (after _long_ time of loading) displayed a HORRIBLE odd screen.
> Think I have the wrong TERM variable. Which one I must use (I set it on
> vt52) ?
No, set it to vt200. This one was also reported by Waldi. I already fixed
the sources (also the sendmail one) but I didn't have time to create a
new install floppy :-(

> But anything else seems to work (tonight I will load netbsd.h8 the first
> time in multiuser mode) but you can't use them, its too slow.
> So I beg that you will be soon able to find the bug in DMA :-) .
I am working on it. In fact, a new kernel is uploaded to you. It's rather
hard to make a device-driver without the hardware :-(

BTW: I am also looking at the keyboard problem. I think I follow Waldi's
advise with it. The keyboard driver already supports downloading of new
keyboard tables. I (only :-) ) have to make a few tables and provide a
download program. You can then download your tables from an rc-script.

Bye, Leo.