Subject: Re: netbsd.h9 arrived
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/15/1995 16:08:20
Hi Leo,

' 	I just uploaded netbsd.h9. I hope the SCSI-driver will run. If it
' does it should be _much_ faster! If, however, it does not or hangs
' somewhere, could you try to get into the debugger and issue the
' command 'call scsi_show' ?
Thank you, but it does NOT run and it does NOT hung ;-)
After showing the available disks
	ncrscsi0 targ 0 lun 0 <QUANTUM LPS270S, ...> ...
	sd0 at ncrscsi0 ...
ca 2 minutes passed off and then the following message repeats in an
endless loop on the screen:
	ncr5380: timeout on polling scsi data
(or similar, sorry I forgot my  sheet of paper where I transcribed it :-( )
Unfortunately I was NOT able to break into the debugger; with the key-
sequence <left_shift><alternate><f9> the kernel doesn't react.
' I sure hope this will speedup your installation :-)
No too late  :-)
Yesterday I complete my Installation from tape
(oh boy , what a boring mess of time -- it spent about 20 (!) hours to load
all binary sets )
it seems to work , but is _horrible_ not-to-use SLOW , like you announced it.

Some small bugs in installation-procedure I have seen, which depend on the
differece between the -current and -1.0 distribution.
I'll short report that I know yet:

1)  function     Extract()	in  /.instutils from floppy-fs
	cat $1.??? | gunzip | (cd /; tar -xvf -)   must be
	cat $1.??? | gunzip | (cd /mnt; tar -xvf -)
                                  ^^^^
because the files in the sets from the current distribution are all
relative to '/', and '/' is in the install-script mounted on '/mnt' before.

2) in function Configure() the (wrong) error message was displayed, that
no sendmail.cf was found, with the nice explanation:
"Do you have forgotten to install the etc-set ?" which I don't have ;-).
I think that the mistake is again, that Configure searches for
'/etc/sendmail' not for '/mnt/etc/sendmail'

3) sometimes TWO <RETURN>s are got (and displayed) when I typed only one.

4) vi (after _long_ time of loading) displayed a HORRIBLE odd screen.
Think I have the wrong TERM variable. Which one I must use (I set it on
vt52) ?

But anything else seems to work (tonight I will load netbsd.h8 the first
time in multiuser mode) but you can't use them, its too slow.
So I beg that you will be soon able to find the bug in DMA :-) .

HEG

          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen     Room: O109, ZI
 /---/--/-----/--+   Phone:  +49-89-48095-190	privat: +49-89-367279
/   /  /___  /__/    email: goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de