Subject: actual FALCON status
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Helmar Goettsch <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/13/1995 01:15:07
Hello Leo and all,
After some special mail-replies on this list
I will now report the actual status of NetBSD on my Falcon:

>From today on I have a harddisk <Quantum 270S> for NetBSD only
with the following partitions
sd0:
a:	root 	10.03 MB 	NBR
b:	swap 	32.03 MB	NBS 	for future when I get 16M RAM :-)
d:	GEMDOS 	30.03 MB	MSDOS   for NetBSD-distribution sets
e:	GEMDOS	00.05 MB	MSDOS 	<-- dummy, to have /usr on g, /home on h
f:	var 	30.03 MB	NBU	/var and /var/tmp
g:	usr 	78.03 MB	NBU
h:	home 	78.03 MB	NBU	/home and /home/local for local sw

chg_pid works fine.
Booting kernel 'netbsd.h8' runs well up to welcome-msg. from install-script.
Also finding root and usr-partitions works right but VERY SLOW, like you
announced it. Also very very slow but fully correct is making filesystem
(newfs) and mounting the partitions.
What don't work is mount_msdos /dev/sd0d on /mnt/tos as I told in my last mail.

But correct (yet very slow) works the SCSI-tape driver
(QIC-24 Streamer, from an old SUN3).
With surprise I could read the NetBSD-sets written with tar on a SUN3/60
in my uni, seems ok.
So at the weekend I'll try to install the sets from tape.

And I hope that you have effort in programming the DMA code for Falcon
to get normal speed ;-) or someone can help my to mount a big enough
GEMDOS-partition with can hold the NetBSD distribution sets.

OK then
Nice weekend for all, HEG

          ___   __   Helmar Goettsch (Admin HEG: Lehrstuhl III, Informatik)
  /   /  /     /  '  Orleansstr. 34, D-81667 Muenchen     Room: O109, ZI
 /---/--/-----/--+   Phone:  +49-89-48095-190	privat: +49-89-367279
/   /  /___  /__/    email: goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de