Subject: Re: Falcon with NetBSD?
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/12/1995 11:28:00
Hello,

> ' Hello, I'm new to this list.
> ' I recently downloaded NetBSD and was hoping that if it would install on a
> ' TT, it could work on a Falcon. Unfortunatly the distribution that I had
> ' gotten from NetBSD.org didn't work. It must have been looking for something
> ' in the computer to ID it as a TT. Does this new release I just saw posted
> ' in the list work on a Falcon? Thanks in advance!
> Welcome to this list
> and to the famous Falcon-developer  Leo  (Leo Weppelman) ;-)
My, should I blush now? :-)
> and		  Falcon-tester	    HEG  (Helmar Goettsch, myself) ;-)

> As I know I'm the first tester of NetBSD on Falcon at all and I'm
> in privat email contact with Leo since I recieved the first test-kernel,
> forwarding greater efforts in development on port-atari.
> The actual status  (since yesterday evening :-) is that the kernel, I have
> runs on my Falcon in single-user mode with loaded ram-filesystem. But this
> is a special test kernel from Leo (netbsd.h8); perhaps Leo can tell you more
> about it, and if you and Leo want you can get it from my site (via fast
> Internet :-).
Be warned however that SCSI-DMA is not yet enabled. This means that
the SCSI-bus will be horrible slow. I planned to look into this this
weekend.

> It fails yet on mount_msdos my GEMDOS partition, so I can't proceed in
> installation after loading the ram-fs. So I stopped there and got a sh.
There has been a discussion about this on the mailing list. Waldi found
out that MSDOS filesystems > 32Mb will not work with the current msdosfs
code. I don't think I have time to fix this very soon for 3 reasons:
	- It does not have _very_ high priority as it can be worked around
     for the moment (using smaller MSDOS fs')
   - My knowledge of MSDOS filesystems is limited, this means
     it will take some time to find out what's wrong exactly.
   - I do not have the disk-space and tools to create it

Maybe Waldi is willing to look at it. He has at least the necessary
knowledge about the fs-code and (since last night) he has the NetBSD
kernel code and, last but not least, he has the same problems :-).

> With this Shell I can look into the ram-fs, list dirs and read files,
> this seems right.
> If you want I forward all mail from/to Leo to you also.
> Do you have succeded in writing the 3 floppy-images on floppy ?
> I had many problems, since I got a good 'rawwrite' program from Leo.
> the old one from sun-lamp don't do it right for Falcon, may be there is a
> correct version on lamp now.
The one on sun-lamp should be the same as the one Helmar has.

Bye, Leo.