Subject: Re: bits and pieces
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/08/1995 21:46:19
Hi Waldi,

> Hi Allen, Benni and Leo,
>
> Some of the things I noticed last night:
>
> - on the ramdisk fs image:
>   in .profile: TERM=pc3  =>  TERM=vt200
>   in .instutils: if [ -e /mnt/sendmail.cf ]  =>  if [ -e /mnt/etc/sendmail.cf ]
>   Configure runs MAKEDEV; MAKEDEV tries to run printf; printf is not included;
>   as a consequence the pty/tty entries are not created.
These are indeed bugs, I fixed them. They will be corrected on the next release
of the install floppies.

> - /proc and /kern seem to be missing in base.tar.gz (or is that intentional?)
Mmmm, the are missing from mtree/4.4BSDdist too, I have no idea if this is
a bug. In my opinion it is.

> - the system clock is initialised two years off (1997); probably Leo is still
>   running an old version of TOS. Benni, can you remember the full story from
>   maus.sys.linux68k? (each TOS version a different bug?)
I assume the year register in the RTC to be relative to 1970. This work out
well with my TOS version (I think, I've never noticed otherwise).

> - date does not just alter the system clock, it also changes the hardware clock;
>   evil, evil, evil. :-)  It's OK for primitive TOS to do something like that,
>   but I believe a real OS should differentiate between hardware and system clock.
I do not see this, can you explain what you mean? I expect the clock to be
correctly set when I use date, even after leaving NetBSD.

> - while mounting an msdos fs on floppy:
>   `mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize in length'
>   It's just a warning, but it's the wrong check: the root directory must be a
>   multiple of the logical sectorsize, which is often not the same as the
>   clustersize. Under GEMDOG a FAT fs on a floppy never has a rootdirectory
>   that is a multiple of the clustersize, as there's only one boot sector, the
>   total number of FAT sectors is allways an even number (2 FATS), and the total
>   number of data sectors is also an even number (2 sectors per cluster), so the
>   number of rootdir. sectors will inevitably be an odd number.
I know, it's a nuisance! As you have more experience using TOS/DOS filesystems
and know more about their formats, maybe you should subscribe to current-users
and start a conversation there! Maybe someone (or you) can fix it.

> - /usr/share/zoneinfo leaves no doubt that BSD was made in USA; never heard of
>   Europe, never heard of Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris, etc. Quick fix: take the
>   stuff from a well known European system, which is more world-orientated.
I just sym-linked '/etc/localtime' to '/usr/share/zoneinfo/MET', this works
ok.

> Some silly questions:
>
> - Is there a raw device for rd0? If so what are the major/minor of rrd0?
It was intended to be used on floppy boot time only. I needed it because
some people (like myself) only have 720Kb disks which is not enough to
put on an install filesystem.

> - What's the reload device?
I did not yet implement it (maybe never will) but on some ports, you can
reboot/reload by copying a new kernel to /dev/reload. This saves you the
burden of booting from scratch.

> Waldi

Bye, Leo.