Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
To: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/05/1995 12:08:35
Hi Waldi,

> OK, I assumed real mem would mean all memory detected. So what is the
> other one, `avail mem', which says 24494080? (1840 KB less than `real')
As I wrote before, 'real mem' should become _realmem_. The differences
with 'avail mem' are:
   - st-ram pool for video, bouncing, etc
   - page tables
   - buffer cache

> > a: root, b: swap, c: whole disk
>
> So a partition with ID `NBR' is assumed to contain a root fs, right?
Yep.

> > > For sd2 the list is even shorter, as their are no FAT fss on that disk.
> > I think they modify the partition-id too, when I know their id's I can
> > fix this.
>
> There is no one-to-one correspondence between a partition ID and the type
> of filesystem on that partition. Partitions with ID `RAW' for example may
> contain either an ext2 or a minix fs (or even an msdos fs). The only ID
> that has a special meaning is `XGM' (extended partition). But if NetBSD
> really wants to use partitions IDs to decide the type of filesystem, we
> could define `MX1' for minix fs, `MX2' for minix2 fs, `EX1' for ext fs
> and `EX2' for ext2 fs (allthough none of those are currently supported
> by NetBSD, and probably never will be). I would also suggest using `SWP'
> for swap partitions, since there has been some discussion on those in
> one of the Maus groups, and `SWP' seemed to be favoured by most.
The 'SWP' idea looks good. As for the others, if NetBSD does not support
the type and the partition-id is not modified it will be ok to report
them as MSDOS.

> That leaves me with the question which ID to use for partitions that
> contain an ufs? (e.g. /usr/src, /var, /var/spool/ftp, /var/spool/news,
> /usr/local etc.). Currently different IDs are used for root fs and
> /usr fs, is it planned that each additional partition gets a unique
> ID? (e.g. NBS, NBV, NBF, NBN, NBL...)
No, the root/swap detection is mostly used for autoconfiguration, all
other filesystems just contain NBU.

Leo.