Subject: Re: segmentation faults with new loadbsd
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/05/1995 01:31:32
Hallo Leo,

> > 16 MB TT RAM seems to work fine for me (10 MB ST / 16 MB TT).
> Do you have 10/16Mb or did you decrease it using the '-T' option of the
> loader?

10/16 is the exact amount of physically available memory. I wasn't even
aware that loadbsd supports a -T option, are there any other options
available?

BTW when I tried to start loadbsd under MagiC, it reported `Unknown FPU
type'. Allthough MagiC does fully replace TOS, it's hard to believe it
also replaces the hardware. :-))

I think the difference is that TOS is lazy and sets the _FPU cookie
to 0x20000 (type unknown), while MagiC sets 0x60000 (68882). Loadbsd
probably expects to find the lazy TOS value.

> Did you install the distribution sets?

No, this won't be possible until I can mount an msdos, minix or ext2
filesystem under NetBSD. Somehow the archives must be accessible by
gzip&tar under NetBSD, and I'm definitely not going to use floppies,
that would take ages (well, at least the best part of my life). :-)

I did play a bit with ufs on floppy:

	# newfs -N /dev/rfd0a
	... 720 sectors in 80 cylinders of 1 tracks, 9 sectors
	# newfs /dev/rfd0a
No problem, just the error message on the disk label.
	# fsck /dev/rfd0a
	BAD SUPERBLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
Amazing!

Well, after an hour or so of running newfs and fsck, one of them
changed its mind about the magic number. Fsck reported and repaired
missing BLK(S) IN BITMAP (whatever that may be). Mount only needed
one attempt, so there I sat with a new ufs with the enormous amount
of 223 1K-blocks. :-)

> It makes me very curious about what's wrong with Benni's configuration.
> Well just wait and see what results he gets.

I'm getting more and more curious about your configuration, as I happen
to encounter the same (or similar) problems Benni had (or still has).

I also tried to mount a CD-ROM (mount_cd9660). After a promising start
some error message appears about trying to access blocks past the end
of the device or something like that (sorry, forgot to write it down).

Waldi