Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
To: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/04/1995 21:50:28
Hi,
	I am lucky I'm dutch so I am able to understand some german :-)
But I would kindly request you to switch to english on a international
mailing list :-)

> > > 	mount_msdos: mount: Invalid argument
> >

> > (btw: what stands ufs for?):
>
> Wie waer's mit unix filesystem?
Mmmmm, I was just thinking about 'the Ulimate File System' :-)

> > > since whatever I tried, I couldn't persuade mount to remount the root fs
> > > in writeable mode. Could someone tell me how this is done?
> >
> > I'd *love* to know this, too!! :) Leo??
> > If you already have an /etc/fstab, you can simply try to "mount /", but
> > without..... :-(
>
> Es fehlt der Eintrag fuer rd0 in /dev, aber im Gegesatz zu Linux muss
> das root-fs unter NetBSD anscheinend nicht unbedingt rw gemountet werden.
True, I found this out this evening, I will update MAKEDEV (and mayby later
the boot-floppy). If you _really_ want to mount it rw, you have to mount
a writable partition, do: "mknod rd0 b 1 0" and "mount rd0 /".

The problems with the MESSDOS compatible filesystems is probably with
Atari. I already had mycroft release the checking on some of the boot
block (so it works an all _my_ DOS partitions) but this obviously was
not enough. It seems that Atari is making a mess of the boot-block.
The current checks are:
    	pmp->pm_BytesPerSec != 0
      pmp->pm_SectPerClust != 0
	   Heads <= 255
	   SecPerTrack <= 63
If these conditions are not met, the kernel refuses to mount it. I think
we should find out what's wrong and maybe suggest a machine compatible hook
to check the boot-block.

About the 'real-mem' values, I just got a message from cgd that I'm wrong
here (Big brother is watching us :-) ). Realmem should be really Realmem,
not a big deal but I'll put it on my todo-list...

-Leo.