Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
To: None <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/04/1995 15:55:00
Hi,

> 	real mem 26378240
>
> I'm pretty sure there is 26 MB somewhere inside, so I wonder what
> happened with those 864 KB which are not reported. (BTW the page
> size is 8 KB).
Some memory is reserved for video buffers (need to be in st-ram) and
some is taken for the buffer cache.

> c: unused
> d: MSDOS
> e: MSDOS
> f: MSDOS
> This information is 100% correct, and so are the reported offsets and
> sizes. I'm not familiar with the naming scheme, so what are a anb b
> supposed to be?
a: root, b: swap, c: whole disk

> disklabel sd1 reports 4 partitions (actually there are 10):
> c: unused
> d: MSDOS
> Again the offset and size for the whole disk and the partition with the
> FAT fs are correct (the other 9 partitions contain minix2 and ext2 fss).
> For sd2 the list is even shorter, as their are no FAT fss on that disk.
I think they modify the partition-id too, when I know their id's I can
fix this.

> Never mind,
> 	mount_msdos -o ro /dev/sd1d /mnt
> would it...
> 	dma-ready: code 2
Probably a parity error...

> yep, that looks much better
> 	mount_msdos: mount: Invalid argument
> oops, celibrated too soon.
try: mount_msdos -r /dev/sd1d /mnt
You only need '-o' when going through 'mount' I think (I don't have
NetBSD at hand here).

> Suddenly I realise that the root-fs is still mounted read-only, which
> may make a considerable difference. Here's where the story ends though,
> since whatever I tried, I couldn't persuade mount to remount the root fs
> in writeable mode. Could someone tell me how this is done?
Why would you want to mount it read/write? I never felt the need to do
that.

-
	Leo