Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/04/1995 14:40:28
Benjamin Lorenz wrote:

> > finito.  Version 2 doesn't do anything at all.
>
> Yep. Same here in Saarbruecken... I have to connect a VGA monitor to
> get some output from the kernel. As soon as my memory problems are solved
> I will try to walk through the sources to get a working TT high.

You should have told me before. :-) After I switched to VGA mode the
kernel (vs. 2) seems to boot fine. The SCSI driver recognizes all
devices connected. But I don't understand why it reports:

	real mem 26378240

I'm pretty sure there is 26 MB somewhere inside, so I wonder what
happened with those 864 KB which are not reported. (BTW the page
size is 8 KB).

/bin/sh is started, but then my ignorance begins to show. I started by
inquiring the disks:

disklabel sd0 reports 6 partitions (actually there are 3) and shows:
c: unused
d: MSDOS
e: MSDOS
f: MSDOS
This information is 100% correct, and so are the reported offsets and
sizes. I'm not familiar with the naming scheme, so what are a anb b
supposed to be?

disklabel sd1 reports 4 partitions (actually there are 10):
c: unused
d: MSDOS
Again the offset and size for the whole disk and the partition with the
FAT fs are correct (the other 9 partitions contain minix2 and ext2 fss).
For sd2 the list is even shorter, as their are no FAT fss on that disk.

Next I tried
	mount -r -t msdos /dev/sd1d /mnt
which leads to
	instbin: msdos not compiled in
Never mind,
	mount_msdos -o ro /dev/sd1d /mnt
would it...
	dma-ready: code 2
yep, that looks much better
	mount_msdos: mount: Invalid argument
oops, celibrated too soon.

Suddenly I realise that the root-fs is still mounted read-only, which
may make a considerable difference. Here's where the story ends though,
since whatever I tried, I couldn't persuade mount to remount the root fs
in writeable mode. Could someone tell me how this is done?

Waldi