Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/03/1995 18:47:40
Leo Weppelman wrote:

> > > How do I get boot-10.fs and inst-10.fs.[12] on a floppy
> > > disk? The rawwrite program doesn't work, as it tries to
> > > write beyond the 80'th track. I formatted 2*80*9, should
> > > I be using some other format (82/83 tracks)?
> >
> > I had some trouble at this point, too.
> > Did you try to format the floppy disk from normal TOS 3.6, using the
> > Desktop menu? After that, I succedded in writing the images (720k each)
> > to disk...
>
> If this works, I am very curious what the problem is! The floppy format
> he mentioned sure looked good. Anyway, the answer to this should be
> mentioned somewhere in the installation doc's I think.

The format was ok, I used the same floppies with dd under Linux
(after patching the floppy driver). Out of curiousity I have now
tested Benni's suggestion, and it works.  So it seems that rawwrite
has a problem writing disks formatted with Kobold. Could this be
caused by the extra sector headers that Kobold creates to speed
up floppy access?

Anyway, it's not the kind of problem that must be solved, a
short remark in the installation guide would be sufficient.

Waldi