Subject: Re: Pre-installation question
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/03/1995 18:18:54
Leo Weppelman wrote:

> > How do I get boot-10.fs and inst-10.fs.[12] on a floppy
> > disk? The rawwrite program doesn't work, as it tries to
> > write beyond the 80'th track. I formatted 2*80*9, should
> > I be using some other format (82/83 tracks)?
> I suspect the sizes of the images to be wrong. The rawwrite
> program just continues writing until the input file is
> completely written to disk. All 3 images should be exactly
> 720KB each!

The images were fine. I suppose Benni is right about the
necessity to use the TOS 3.06 desktop, but I did it the
hard way. I apllied some patches from A.S. to the Linux
kernel and suceeded with dd.

First step succeeded. :-)

> Yes, when you say _not_ to install, you will get a shell
> prompt. You can then create your filesystem. Mount this
> on '/mnt' and create '/mnt/usr'. Hereafter, you can
> continue with extracting and installing the sets.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was hoping for.

For the moment though, I'm far away from any prompt; after
loadbsd has loaded the kernel from floppy the TT freezes.
I started loadbsd with the -b option as mentioned in the
installation guide.

After loading version 1 I can see some pixel junk on my
screen (probably because, according to the doc, this
kernel doesn't properly recognise a highres. monitor)
while the blinking TOS cursor disappears; after that
finito.  Version 2 doesn't do anything at all.

My hardware: TT with 10+16 MB RAM, standard keyboard (UK),
highres. monitor (Eizo 6500-M), Maxtor and Micropolis
disk at SCSI ID 0 and 1 respectively (I made sure the
other SCSI devices were disabled), standard HD floppy
(AJAX controller), SLM interface on the ACSI bus.

Waldi