Subject: Re: netbsd.h3 arrived
To: None <goettsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/03/1995 09:51:00
hello Helmar,

> > get that console configured. So I hope we will get some extra lines.
> > > 	4: Before calling main()
> > > 	5: Before console init
> > > 	--> Delay here <--
> OK 				<<============= h e r e
> the kernel 'netbsd.h3' stops, e.g. there appear FIVE dot-lines after screen
> clears (= screen-switch). In detail:
> One dot-line in executing 'loadbsd' then 3 dot-lines (one after ~2 sec.
> two more) after starting kernel, then screen clears (switches) and 5 next
> lines at the top of the screen appears.
> Does it reaches the aim now ? :-)
Yes and no, we have made it through most of the startup code but as you
still do not have a console, I am not quite satisfied. I expected the rest
of the console init to be without troubles (that's why I stopped drawing
lines at this point) but it obviously is not. I will have to extend the
debugging stuff so we can track down where it halts this time. So there will
be a next test kernel. I'm gonna work at it tonight and let you know.

> One thing I will tell you that I've seen already at the last kernel (.h2) is:
> The leftmost 20 dots on the dot-line at the top of screen (1st after screen-
> switch) are in parts overwritten by "pixel-dust", I mean some additional
> pixels are seen. May be is it nothing but also if I have a little bit
> fantasy .. perhaps .. it may be a try of showing text, which is distorted
> because of a mistake in screen-resolution or somewhat.
> OK may be I'm too phantastic, but who knows ... ;-)
You are seeing it quite right, the screen-area overlaps with the ST-ram
memory pool. The first bytes become the header-structure of that pool, when
the pool gets initialized this 'distortion' shows up :-)

> The next question I have is, do you need the older kernels (netbsd{,.h[23]})
> residing in my incoming directory ? And the former kernels, which are on my
> falcon ?
No, you can remove them.

> Another thing:
> On a mail of you in 'port-atari' you announce an new kernel on sun-lamp.
> Is this kernel identical with 'netbsd.h3' (adjusted on Falcon) or newer ?
No, it's not the same kernel, I currently have two separate source trees
one reflects the kernel as it is currently on sun-lamp and the other
contains the things I have changed to get this far on the Falcon. I do
not want to merge them until I know what should be changed exactly.

> And the last:
> 'benni' (Benjamin Lorenz) wants, that we mail our discussion on 'port-atari'.
> I think, our subjects are too special and too much in a former state of
> development to be of interest for someone else. What do you mean ?
> (For now I give benni a CC: of my mails to you).
I agree with you. I think things get interesting when at least the console
is up and running and the SCSI is (minimally) functional. It doesn't seem
a very good idea to me to put all those test-kernels on lamp as it is
enough to have just one person to test it at this stage. It becomes a
different story as soon as you succeeded in installing it. I think it
is best to have the mailing list decide this. So I cross-post this
message to the list. If people want to follow this conversation, let
me (us) know. If this turns out to be a lot of people, I'll continue
cross posting. Otherwise I think it would suffice when I (or Helmar)
report major breakthroughs only. The kernel will of course be released
(and announced on this list) as soon as it can be successfully installed
on a Falcon.

Bye, Leo.
 Leo Weppelman @ Albert Heijn  bv,        UUCP: ....!sun4nl!leo@ahwau.ahold.nl
 Winkelautomatisering                     Internet: leo@ahwau.ahold.nl
 Ebbehout 31, 1507 EA Zaandam.            Phone: +31 75 593975 Fax: 351240