Subject: Pre-installation question
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/03/1995 04:37:16
Hi,

I have some trouble trying to install NetBSD/Atari.

How do I get boot-10.fs and inst-10.fs.[12] on a floppy
disk? The rawwrite program doesn't work, as it tries to
write beyond the 80'th track. I formatted 2*80*9, should
I be using some other format (82/83 tracks)?

Off course I tried dd under Linux, but since the floppy
driver under Linux is not quite free of bugs, this wasn't
much of a success either.

Furthermore the installation guide somewhat confused me.
The install program seems to expect two partitions, but
since the smallest partion in my system is ~122 MB, I
was planning to start with just one partition for both
the root and /usr filesystem. Is it possible to skip
the automatic installation and run newfs, etc manually?

What about those partition IDs mentioned in the inst.
guide? Is it really necessary to use those exact names?
I already use several partition IDs to keep MiNT/MagiC
away from filesystems they don't understand, I don't
intend to change the way things are (never change a
winning horse :-) ). As far as the swap-partition is
concerned, NetBSD will have to do with a BGM partition
ID as this partition is already shared between MiNT/MagiC
and Linux. But I can hardly imagine that NetBSD would
really rely on some meanungless part. ID (even harddisk
drivers for TOS/MiNT/MagiC know better than that).

BTW is there any limit to the number of partitions per
disk, that NetBSD can handle? (this might look like a
silly question, but currently it is a serious problem
under Linux (max. 15 part./disk)).

Waldi