Subject: Re: DNARD (Shark) Firmware
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Mark Hayter <mdh@broadcom.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/20/2002 08:15:04
"Valeriy E. Ushakov" wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 07:10:46 -0400, Henry C. Schmitt wrote:
>
> > Also, the Open Firmware apparently can't see the disk properly.  It
> > gives "Can't read disklable package"
>
> AFAIK, this just means that it doesn't understand the disklabel on the
> disk.  E.g. Firmworks' OFW in JavaStation tells me that when I insert
> CF card with a netbsd disklabel on it.  Another CF with original disk
> label works just fine.  I gather sharks has OFW from Firmworks too.
>
> SY, Uwe
> --
> uwe@ptc.spbu.ru                         |       Zu Grunde kommen
> http://www.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen

I recall having to zero the first few sectors to get OFW to recognize
the bsd disc, otherwise it gets confused and tries for DOS format. I
think a dd of 512 bytes onto the raw disc did the trick for ZIP disks.

BTW the shark does support two devices on the IDE chain. I have kept the
ZIP on mine (usefull for installs without needing all the dhcp/tftp!)
and added the 2.5. I mount the hard drive over the expantion connectors
(one bracket up from the board, two from the back panel.

Also, the environment is stored separately from the OFW. So you may just
have corrupted environment info and still good firmware. I think there
is a "restore default" function, although you need to be careful if you
had the video hack.

Mark