Subject: Re: DVD rom drives
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/03/2001 09:59:11
On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 07:10:00PM +0100, Chris Cowdery wrote:
> I've got an IDE DVD ROM drive in my RiscPC. Will it work with
> NetBSD/arm?

It should do. Pretty much all DVD ROM drives just look like CD-ROM drives.
They support some extra ATAPI commands to control querying region information
and whether discs are single/dual layer etc, but all the CD stuff should work
just fine.

> And if so, will it read DVD movie files?

It depends on how the DVD is region coded. Region free discs and 'local'
region discs should allow you to read the VOB files from the DVD onto your
hard disc just fine, but I think you need to do extra stuff to read
'non-local' region discs (assuming your drive can switch regions)

Ian.