Subject: Re: Cross-built kernel hangs.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/25/2001 19:15:19
In article
<Pine.NEB.4.30.0107232134030.2450-100000@crowley.our-flat.net>,
   David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com> wrote:
> I have been trying for some time to get a cross-compiled kernel to go.
> I've been using the arm-netbsd pkg from pkgsrc and attempting to compile
> an 1.5 A7000 kernel on an i386 machine (running 1.5).  When booting it
> gets as far as the white rainbow strip and then hangs.

The white stripe means that it is about to branch into the NetBSD
kernel.

Is it only this kernel that fails? Do you have other A7000 kernels
that work? is this the first time that you have used NetBSD on
this machine? The old !BtRiscBSD application allowed you to try
to boot the machine with no memory dedicated to the screen. You
don't get very far if you do this...

What size is the kernel? On my A7000+, the RISC OS 3.7 memory map
can cause problems booting NetBSD and I have a customised bootloader
for it. On the other hand I would not expect it to get as far as
displaying the stripes before crashing.

I cannot think of anything else at present.

Dave Daniels