Subject: Re: Booting Risc PC with proper monitor sync?
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/20/2001 23:50:43
In message <b9460f974a.kjetilbt@kbtrpc.thomassen.priv.no>
          "Kjetil B. Thomassen" <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no> wrote:

> In message <f8f109974a.kjetilbt@kbtrpc.thomassen.priv.no>
>           "Kjetil B. Thomassen" <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no> wrote:
>
> > In message <Pine.SOL.4.33.0107072012060.12766-100000@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk>
> >           Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org> wrote:

> > > <URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/bjh21/cosc/netbsd.gz>
> > >
> > > Since that was a GENERIC kernel anyway, I thought I may as well add the
> > > NFS_BOOT options to it.
> >
> > This kernel does not seem to support either of my monitors, so I'm a bit
> > stuck here. The boot loader works fine, but when the kernel starts
> > everything goes fuzzy, and the monitor looses sync.
> >
> > I have set up my NetBSD/sparc 1.5 as a DHCP and boot server for the Risc
> > PC, and modified the BtNetBSD application as outlined in one of the
> > earlier mails in this thread, and the kernel boots, but then the screen
> > just will not synchronize.
> >
> > I have changed the config to:
> > Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.BtNetBSD <BtNetBSD$Dir>.^.kernels.netbsd maxproc=64 nofpa
> >
> > And, set the:
> > *WimpMode X640 Y480 C256
> >
> > Or:
> > *WimpMode X1280 Y1024 C256
> >
> > As my monitors support these, but to no avail.
> >
> > I have attached my two special monitor files in case that can help you
> > figure out why it doesn't work on my monitors.
> >
> > CTRL-T seems to drop me into the debugger, and running reboot from there
> > does indeed do a reboot.
> >
> > I can, of course, hook up a third monitor, but that should not be
> > necessary, if you ask me.
> >
> > I have been trying to boot from the network, and it is able to get a
> > lease from the DHCP server after I enter ne0 blindly and press enter
> > three times, but something does not work correctly, and it dies.
>
> That turned out to be a misconfiguration/understanding of DHCPD, and now
> it mounts root, but gets no further. It does answer to ping, but that is
> pretty much it.
>
> My hardware configuration is:
> http://www.thomassen.priv.no/MyRiscPC/

It's now been almost two weeks since I wrote this email, and noone has
said anything that could help me out here.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

The problem with booting has been fixed, but not the monitor problem.

As I don't have an arm32 installation up and running, and not even a
cross-compiler, it would be nice if someone could try to make me a
kernel that could work on my monitors.

This would make me able to test whether the SCSI support works for me or
not.

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no