Subject: Re: options *_POLL
To: Sebastian Maus <maus@mail.uni-mainz.de>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/02/2001 09:47:30
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Kjetil B. Thomassen wrote:
>
> For these kinds of tests I suggest an INSTALL kernel with the relevant
> podule support compiled in. From that you can easily test whether mounting
> a device (i.e. CD-ROM) on such a podule works. CD-ROMs never worked
> properly on the cosc, for example (reading files stuffed the machine).
> This would be the easiest way for me to test cosc as I would not have to
> upgrade my 1.4 installation first. Or is it possible/recommended to run
> -current kernels with 1.4 userland?

Well providing the current kernel has the COMPAT_14 option everything
will run. Things like ps and top wont go but the system should still
boot and shutdown. Running current with an old userland is supposed to
work sufficiently well to allow you to compile current while running the
new kernel with the old userland. However I wouldn't expect this to be
trouble free if you were starting with 1.4 as there are quite a few
issues when you start with 1.5.

Mike