Subject: Re: Install problem
To: Anthony Hilton <ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/2001 22:52:09
On Monday 21 May 2001  9:56 pm, Anthony Hilton wrote:

> > > I'm not sure, because I haven't tried this recently: I think you might
> > > have to unzip the kernel first?  I seem to remember that there was a
> > > RISC OS !Gzip application years ago that would do the trick.
> >
> > Yes, seems I missed that when checking the CD. The images are compressed,
> > so  they do need to be uncompressed, I think sparkplug might be capable
> > of doing  so.  Otherwise gzip should be able to:
> > http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~arcangel/files/ should work.
> >
> > What's the best way to disemminate this info?  CSA.announce?
>
> In <URL:news:local.netbsd> on Mon 21 May, Dave Daniels wrote:
> > The only thing I would say it that sysinst seems to leave you with
> > 'rc_configured' in /etc/rc.conf set up as 'rc_configured=NO'. I think
> > that you will find that the learning curve has suddenly become a vertical
> > wall if you are not sure how to progress after you reboot as you end up
> > having to mount things by hand before you can edit rc.conf.
>
> Do I also need to unzip the RAMdisc image? (I guess from Dave Daniels'
> response maybe not). Where should the unzipped files reside on the hard
> disc (relative to the bootloader) to use them succesfully?

I suggest you ungzip the files into the NetBSD directory.  You only need the
relevant INST kernel as it has a builtin ramdisk image (which makes things so
much easier )  You should literally be able to start !BtNetBSD and drag the
kernel onto the icon on the iconbar and it should boot.

> Any hints welcomed before I find myself with a NetBSD system I can do
> nothing with! Thanks for the warning Dave.

I'd suggest having a read over the NetBSD guide on CD1 in the guide dir.

If you get stuck you know where we are :)

Cheers,
Chris