Subject: Install problem
To: NetBSD/arm32 list <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/2001 09:56:50
RiscPC, ARM610, 37Mb RAM, 2Gb hdd partitioned 1.3Gb RISC OS 700Mb NetBSD.
(there is already a 1.3_ALPHA install of NetBSD there). Display running
1024x768x256 colours.

I bought a pair of CDs at the Wakefield show yesterday. I have copied
!BtNetBSD (v2.92 14 Feb 2001) into a new NetBSD directory with the misc and
unixfs directories in the same NetBSD directory. When I drag the RiscPC
install kernel (NETBSD_RPCINST.GZ dated 17 May 2001 on the CD) from the CD
onto the boot-loader on the icon bar the screen blanks, then 8 coloured bars
are put up at the top of the screen followed by a RISC OS error box
"Application may have gone wrong". Clicking Continue results in a new report
"Internal Error: no stack for trap handler: illegal instruction, pc =
4000935C: registers at 0001294C. Cancel on that reports "Application may have
gone wrong. Abort on instruction fetch at &021A0B7C"

Continued clicking on Continue eventually returns to an approximation at a
RISC OS desktop - no Task Manager or Display Manager icons, icons are present
for the filing systems (Resources, floppy and hard disc on ADFS and CD).
Clicking on any of these generates an error then removes the icon (both in
the case of ADFS). Once they have all gone it drops to a cli (* prompt on a
black background) which will not re-load the Desktop. Re-booting the machine
is the only way out.

I did have !Freeze in the boot sequence and wondered if that was the problem
but removing it made no difference.

The existing 1.3_Alpha installation still boots.

!BtRiscBSD (v2.88 20 June 1997 - from the 1.3_Alpha CD) gives a similar
result with the new install kernel - the addresses are different.

I have downloaded the snapshot install kernels 20010510 and 20010406 - same
result with the latest bootloader. From the file sizes the 3 install kernels
I have tried are different (the 20010517 snapshot hasn't made it to the ftp
server yet).

What should I look at next in the config of my machine to find the problem
and be able to install NetBSD 1.5.1_Beta2?

Anthony Hilton

--
ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk