Subject: Re: Wakefield CD
To: None <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Steve Potts <stevepotts@blastzone.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/07/2001 00:15:48
In message <01050620551705.00327@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>
          Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> the *'s are probably a place holder.  What happens if you use `passwd
> username` as root?  does that work.

That worked, cheers.  I'm struggling to remember how to work command shells
in unix, it's so unintuitive.  Half the battle is remembering the names of
the commands.

Just compliled "hello world" from my new user account with gcc, the memories
are slowly returning :-).  An example of my loss of memory is that I had to
look up how to execute commands asynchronously (&).

> > I thought that passwords were encrypted in this file.
>
> They should be.
>
> > Also, how to I configure the system to know what the root device is when
> > it boots, it asks me every time and I have to tell it "wd0a"?
>
> Which bootloader are you using?

Not sure how to tell, but I've realised that it is possible to specify in the
RiscOS preboot to use wd0a as the root filesystem.

--
StevePotts@blastzone.demon.co.uk (http://www.blastzone.demon.co.uk/)

Visit the Wakefield RISC OS computer show (19th /20th May 2001), see :
http://www.wacg.org.uk/show/ for details.

Are you sick of Windows PCs crashing?  There are alternatives you know.
http://www.riscos.org/ and http://www.riscos.com/