Subject: Re: Wakefield CD
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/06/2001 21:53:02
In <URL:news:local.netbsd> on Sun 06 May, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> On Sunday 06 May 2001  8:00 pm, Steve Potts wrote:
> > In message <01050619270404.00327@pinky.paradox.demon.co.uk>
> >           Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps I should consider doing 2 CD's?  one with packages on the other
> > > with  NetBSD on it?  (and buy 1 get 2nd CD cheap?)
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?  What would people prefer?
> >
> > I am one of probably many who don't know very much about building kernels
> > and recompiling systems such as X.  My reason for having BSD is to learn
> > more about Unix and to be able to develop simple C programs initially and
> > then play with writing TCP/IP applications using sockets.  The system
> > which is best for me is one which gives me all the binaries for the base
> > system with compliers and text editors, with X Windows and a few nice
> > tools, not forgetting the manual pages for all of the above.
>
> True.  I think the problem is I don't exactly know who is likely to buy the
> CD and why.

People like me who want to have a look at NetBSD, don't know anything about
compiling or building stuff. I would hope for 1.5.1 built ready to install
with perhaps enough sources to allow me to learn how to compile a kernel;
-current to get the choice of bootloaders (not available with 1.5.1 if I have
understood); some packages so I can make some use of the system instead of
just playing with the OS.

> > I think that if you do a second CD (and it sounds like you should), that
> > the second CD is the one which should have sources to the system, so that
> > those who are more experienced or those who want to play with lower level
> > code, can then choose to have this additional CD.
>
> Sounds sensible.  A quick recalc shows that not putting the source on
> saves about 240MB, giving near 400MB for packages.  Which hopefully should
> be  enough for the ones people want.

I'm not sure, but would it make sense to put -current with its own sources
(and possibly 1.5.1 sources) on the second CD? Beginners like me may well
prefer the stable release to the (apparently stable) -current.

I think the first CD should have everything to install a usable system with
some packages and documentation.

I guess I'd probably buy 2 CDs to be sure I'm not limiting myself and to save
me downloading in future, specially if there is a discount on the second.

Anthony Hilton

--
ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk