Subject: Re: Hardware config?
To: Anthony Hilton <ajh@tinshill.f9.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/16/2001 23:18:29
On Monday 16 April 2001  8:45 pm, Anthony Hilton wrote:
> Is there a command in NetBSD which reports hardware config of the machine
> (RAM, hard disc etc)? I asked the question on the comp.unix.aix newsgroup
> and received a number of suggestions including lscfg, lsdev, lsattr. When I
> tried these on NetBSD/arm32 1.3alpha none of them worked (logged in as
> root) - (Hoping to get 1.5 or 1.5.1 on CD at Wakefield).

I'm hoping that it'll be 1.5.1 by then (as it's in beta now, wakefield is 5
weeks off, touch wood :)  I'm also hoping to manage to have current on it as
well (as I believe that current is a lot better in some respects to 1.5.x,
but 1.5.x is stable :)

as for the commands (ls*) they're only on AIX (and very handy, I rather like
AIX though :)

I'd suggest checking /var/run/dmesg.boot or /var/log/messages.  That said
David suggestion of /sbin/dmesg would normally (however if you've had the
machine running long enough dmesg may not be complete :)

> Is this the correct list for this type of question as I learn NetBSD, or is
> there a more general learners list?

A good place to look is the NetBSD guide (it is i386 biased though)
Otherwise a good unix book is helpful, I've found unix in a nutshell a good
reference for things (and not too costly)
URL of netbsd guide:
http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html

However I believe most people on the list will happily answer questions,
although netbsd-users might be more appropriate?  (and this list is fairly
low volume (I say noting that I've about 250 msgs unread on that list, ack
only away 3 days and I'm even further behind on all lists!)

> Does anyone run ROX on NetBSD/arm32 (does it run)? Could it be included
> (compiled) on the CD at Wakefield?

It should run (unless it has a linux bias), I've not tried though, it's on my
list of things to try and get on the CD, however this time I plan to be
organised and avoid the mad running around like a headless chicken (but I'll
probably do that anyway), it'd be good to get it into pkgsrc though :)  I'll
attempt to get it up and running, (first I need to install 1.5 branch on my
rpc though)

Cheers,
Chris