Subject: Re: tlp and CATS
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/11/2001 20:31:10
On Wednesday 11 April 2001  6:39 pm, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Mike Pumford wrote:
> > > I've commented out the de* line and uncommented the tlp* line and the
> > > TLP_MATCH lines in my config file. The kernel produced recognises the
> > > tlp0 device but complains:
> > >
> > > tlp0: Unable to configure MII
> > > tlp0: no media found
> >
> > Have you got MII/PHY support in your kernel? The stock CATS kernel has
> > support for some of these devices but not all of them. You can search
> > for MII in the kernel config file.
>
> There doesn't appear to be one corresponding to the tlp driver. But yes,
> I've uncommented them all just in case.
>
> The driver obviously works on other ports (did a search through the
> mailing lists for similar problem, but found nothing).
>
> I know that, in theory, any MI PCI driver should work on the CATS. How
> true is this is practice? Should I be able to use any support SCSI or
> ethernet card?

I believe that you need:
tlp*	at pci? dev ? function ?	# DECchip 21x4x (and clones) Ethernet
ukphy*	at mii? phy ?			# generic unknown PHYs

in your config (or that's what I've got in my PC)
dmesg:
tlp0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: Lite-On 82C169 Ethernet, pass 2.0
tlp0: interrupting at irq 9
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:cc:66:25:8a
ukphy0 at tlp0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: OUI 0x001018, model 0x0021, rev. 2
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

However you've probably tried that.  What chip is actually on the card?  Does
it work in a PC?

Cheers,
Chris