Subject: Re: NetBSD psion port
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: John Fremlin <chief@bandits.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/2001 17:47:58
David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> writes:

> On 10 Apr 2001, John Fremlin wrote:

[...]

> > Anybody undertaking or interested in helping with a port to the
> > Psion 5 mx? The machine is a bit low powered for the hpcarm port,
> > as it has only a 36.9 MHz ARM 710 T, but it does have 16 Mb of
> > RAM. Which netbsd ARM port would be the best starting point?

> 	NetBSD/arm is going through something of a transition at the
> 	moment with arm32 splitting into individual ports and arm26
> 	moving towards sharing the userland and much of the kernel code.
>
> 	I'd guess that hpcarm may share a number of the same devices which
> 	would make it an obvious starting point.

I think that most of the hw is proprietory. It is based around a 710 T
ARM cpu + mmu device, and includes a national semiconductors ADC12130
for the serial port (and IrDA?). I don't know the names for the
keyboard and touchscreen.

The CPU in the 710 T is a ARM 7TDMI. I think the arm-32 port has had
some luck with these processors - the hpcarm is more StrongARM
orientated?

[...]

> 	I think I have a 32MB CF card for my psion 5 around here I could
> 	send to someone working on the port...

Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if the project actually starts
to get somewhere ;-)

[...]

--

	http://www.penguinpowered.com/~vii